CARDIFF, WALES - SEPTEMBER 29: Jacob Rees-Mogg, MP for North East Somerset is met by protestors ahead of a talk called Faith in the Future at the Cornerstone Church on September 29, 2017 in Cardiff, Wales. The talk, titled “Faith in the Future”, explores issues surrounding the importance of faith in the public and private life of our society. Jacob Rees-Mogg has recently caused controversy over his opposition to abortion after rape or incest. (Photo by Matthew Horwood/Getty Images)
More press photography.
I've been using the new Nikon D850 for the last week after trading in the D810 which I've been using for the last 3 years. It's been a great camera for event and portrait photography although having taken 230,000 pictures it was starting to show its age!
As a former Nikon D810 user here are a few observations on the D850. It's far from a review, just a few things I've noticed from the last seven days.
- Huge improvement in autofocus. High resolution cameras are much less forgiving when it comes to focusing and so it's good to see the D5 AF system in the D850.
- Snapbridge - general pretty good although it can be a little buggy with images refusing to send.
- Silent photography at 45mp and focus peaking which makes this feature genuinely useful.
- Seems slightly quieter than the D810.
- Illuminated buttons at long last. Bizarre that this wasn't a feature on the D800/D810.
- Massive resolution. The DX crop is 5000px across. Roughly the same size as a full frame image from the D5.
- Raw files are roughly 50-60mb each (275mb uncompressed)
- No built in FTP which is a shame. Despite having wifi it's not possible to send pictures via FTP without purchasing the WT-7 which is £1000. Snapbridge allows fullsize images to be transferred but it's not particularly streamlined.
- When using DX crop mode you now get a greyed-out, shaded area around the crop area rather than the thin line on the D810. The result is it's easier to frame subjects.
- There's no built in flash which I won't miss. The flash was permanently taped down on my D810.
- Nikon are still not committing to one storage format. The D850 takes SDHC/SDXC and XQD cards. I'd much rather of seen two XQD slots.
- High ISO noise? I've not really noticed a difference which I assume is an improvement seeing as the D850 is a much higher resolution camera.
The sun rises over Cardiff Marina in Cardiff, south Wales. The weather is expected to be cool and breezy today as Storm Aileen passes.
CARDIFF, WALES - AUGUST 25, 26, 27: Pride Cymru's Big Weekend in Cardiff, Wales. A march will take place at midday on Saturday with music in the evening. Pride Cymru aims to eliminate discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender within Wales. (Photo by Matthew Horwood)
SWANSEA, WALES - AUGUST 17: A Level results at Ffynone House School on August 17, 2017 in Swansea, Wales. There have been 416,000 university places confirmed - down 2% at the same point last year.
The Weeping Window installation which marks the centenary of World War One and was unveiled at the Senedd in Cardiff Bay on August 7, 2017 in Cardiff, Wales. The display took five days to set up, with each handmade poppy put in place by a team under instruction of designer Tom Piper and artist Paul Cummins. The Weeping Window first went on display at the Tower of London in 2014 and has since been on a tour of the country.
England U19 cricket training at the SSE Swalec Stadium on August 5, 2017 in Cardiff, Wales. The Royal International Series starts on Monday with a series of five one-day matches against India.
Lately I've been working on a system to speed up the delivery of images to clients - particuarly for conference and event photography.
Traditionally images are edited at the end of an assignment and then a Dropbox or WeTransfer link provided where the images can be downloaded.
To speed this up I am now able to provide images almost instantly by sending them directly from the camera to a Dropbox link where they are available to download within seconds.
This is particularly useful for conferences and events where images often have the greatest impact straight after they are taken.
It's a system that's been successfully used on numerous events from conventions to university graduations and red carpet events.
Being able to access the images through Dropbox will allow you to share the images straight away - reaching a global audience on social media within seconds.
For more information please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07725002000
Cardiff Met graduation week at the Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff Bay.
CARDIFF, WALES - JULY 11: Cardiff Met Graduation ceremony at the Wales Millennium Centre on July 11, 2017 in Cardiff, Wales.(Photo by Matthew Horwood)
Home of Finsbury Mosque terror suspect Darren Osborne is searched by police in Pentwyn, Cardiff on June 19, 2017.
CARDIFF, UNITED KINGDOM - JUNE 09: Counting on election night at the Sport Wales National Centre on June 9, 2017 in Cardiff, United Kingdom. After a snap election was called, the United Kingdom went to the polls yesterday following a closely fought election. The results from across the country are being counted and an overall result is expected in the early hours. (Photo by Matthew Horwood/Getty Images)